One of the greatest byproducts of green building is increased energy efficiency. Green / Sustainable houses typically perform better than a standard constructed homes.
Energy efficiency saves dollars for the homeowner through reduced utility bills as well as reduces the demand on the energy infrastructure.
In addition many of the solutions implemented to create an energy efficient home also create a more comfortable living environment.
Some examples include:
- Zones HVAC
- Upgraded insulation
- Duct Sealing
- Low-E double-pane windows
- Compact fluorescent lighting
- Low energy-using major appliances / Energy Star
- High-efficiency furnaces
- Hydronic radiant heat
- Tankless water heater - although studies show water consumption increases
- Whole house fans
- Solar water heating
- Photovoltaic system (solar system)
- Passive solar heating, overhangs on south windows, deciduous trees on west and south